Thursday, April 26, 2012

What a watch – Vicky donor!




What an awkward name ‘Vicky donor!’ I thought to myself, the first time I read the name while scanning the morning paper and enjoying my first strong cuppa. My ‘couldn’t- care- less’ eyes and already distracted mind gave the review a cursory glance and moved on to run through the rest of the paper.

However, I was soon to learn that ‘Vicky donor’ would actually show me ‘Paani da rang,’ which  - till I watched the movie - was one of the many mysteries of life that I had been unable to solve. Anyway, coming back to the movie, I loved it for not only coming to my aid to solve the puzzle about the exact colour of water  but also for the fantastic idea/story! 


I was so happy with the movie that I decided to write about it and er, per force increase your knowledge on the subject. Now don’t smirk or shy away. Read me out. I am almost certain that even you don’t know what's the exact colour of water. Do you think I was going to talk about sperm donation? Nah! I am  going to talk movie alright!

But first things first -

The colour of water is Blue, Green and Red. At least for me!  Of course, it may be that you see entirely different colours. Confused?  I know. Well let me expand on the above. Hopefully, you will appreciate my endeavor to enlighten you on the subject.

‘The world is a sperm….’says Dr. Chaddha, (one of the principal characters) towards the end of the movie. For him the world indeed revolves around sperms. 


Shocking! Crazy! Shameful! Everybody calls him that. Even some of his own patients.  

Oh! I forgot to properly introduce you to Dr .Chaddha. In the movie, he is the fertility expert, running a fertility clinic and a sperm bank in Dariyaganj, New Delhi, which guarantees high quality and specialized sperm to couples who are unable to have babies, naturally. 


Unfortunately, he has more failed cases to his credit than successes. So he gets desperate for a healthy, high performing donor. Enters our dashing hero, Vicky, a Punjabi boy living in refugee colony of Lajpat nagar. Vicky has big dreams. His mother, a widow, runs a small beauty parour in Lajpat nagar to somehow make ends meet. 


But instead of easing out her burden by working at his Uncle’s garment shop, Vicky loves to spend money on buying expensive clothes, eating out, playing cricket and going to pubs etc. Not that he is a wrong kind of boy. He feels bad for his mother but wants to work in a proper corporate environment instead of working for a small time ‘uncool’ business house.  


The entire story revolves around the above two main characters trying to outwit each other on the (rather embarrassing), issue of Sperm donation. Strange topic! Funny story! I am sure you too are thinking the same ...as I had thought that  morning when I first read about it.

But the fact remains, the movie boldly dealt with the rather hush -hush and serious topic in the most hilarious way possible. Honestly, I found the movie a  refreshing break. 


With an apt depiction of vagaries of life in a metro, on your face Delhi type humour, (by which I mean that Delhi wala’s will relate to it very well, esp the aggressive body language and not -so -soft  style of talking), Bong – Punju fights, Gol gupps & Chat walas,  pretentious high society Delhi denizens, 42 inch LCD TV price queries, snoopy neighbours,  Lajpat ki galiyan and CR park ke lanes, Love is blind quotes….et al, the movie, through the myriad of colours and emotions refused to budge from that one serious question it provocatively chose to raise and address. 


For the answer about the colour of water, you have to watch the movie. Ha! So much for this? What a tease I am. Actually,I am not. I am just being nice by acting as a stimulant. Go watch  and enjoy the movie just as I did. Oh well, let me be kind and explain how I saw the three colours -

Green –that symbolizes Life, Freshness, Fertility, Beginning. The movie sensitively dealt with the issue of infertility. If gently nudged the viewers to think and ask themselves the question What’s the big deal? Why so much of stigma attached to a profession or a task that would bring forth life in the best possible manner and spread smiles?

Blue – Pain and sadness of not having your own child was experienced best when Aashima, Vicky’s wife, who loved kids’ but found out she could never have children due to some problem within her own body. Blue also symbolizes peace or serenity which can be experienced through Vicky's   state of mind towards the end when he realizes how his actions, changes the lives of so many people including his own.

Red – Colour of love.  Whether it is Vicky’s love for his mother, or his mom’s grumbling acceptance and love for  her mother – in - law or Chadhha’s weird love for Vicky or Vicky's love for Aashima ( the most heart touching + romantic), the movie captured the emotion so well that I kept my kerchief handy.

And of course, I sang ‘Pani da rang’ all the way home…the first few lines in Punjabi, the rest in well…some odd language that only my heart understood.  



3 comments: